Welcome!

Hi. I'm Wendy (Wendakai). I'm writing this health-oriented blog because I have colitis and celiac disease and am now on a gluten-free, vegan diet. I went kicking and screaming into that, I can tell you. I'm also at risk for Type 2 diabetes. Mom to an Aspie teen, wife to a working man and in my cronehood, I'm looking to stick around a bit yet and share what I learn with others. There are also other resources posted here for those seeking information on a healthier lifestyle, recipes, info and more. I hope you get something out of what's here. :)

Monday, March 28, 2011

KISS

You know, KISS.... Keep It Simple St.... um.... Sweety. ;o)

Yep, as much as I'm hankerin' to explore and experiment, I just love to keep it basic and simple. Here's my fave lunch, which I post for those who may not have tried something like this.

Raw veges dipped in homemade hummus... yum. :) Hummus
1 can organic chic peas
1 tablespoon... maybe a bit more, of tahini or sunflower seed butter
fresh dill weed, basil and parsley... to taste
lemon juice... about 3 tbsp.
clove of garlic
sea salt and pepper to taste
water, as needed

Place all ingredients in food processor and spin, adding water as needed (don't overdo) to make the mixture smooth. Blend until it's creamy, not lumpy. This is the recipe for lemon/dill dip. I also like roasted red pepper hummus. To make this, just roast 1 whole red pepper, remove skin, seeds, etc. Leave out the dill weed and use only 2 tbsp. lemon juice. You won't need to add as much water either, as the red pepper adds moisture. Also very yum!

The pasta/chic pea salad on the plate is made with gluten-free brown rice macaroni. I just cook 1/4 to 1/3 cup of this and strain it over a handful (1/4 cup?) of canned chic peas. Then I put this back in the emptied pot and add chopped veges ~ onion, celery, red pepper, broccoli ~ and herbs, fresh or dried, with a little sea salt and pepper to taste. Then either dried cranberries or black olives, depending on my preference for that day. I dress it all with a little g-free dijon mustard and a tbsp. of garlic olive oil. Blend and serve.

Ok, it takes about 30 minutes to make myself this yummy lunch, but I'm totally worth the investment in time and effort. :) Hehehehehe.... I sure hope you try this for a meal and enjoy it as much as I do.

4 comments:

  1. Made my tummy growl reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe... I have this almost every day for lunch, and I still look forward to it. This is my "dinner." The other meals are usually even simpler, and you know, I'm quite satisfied with this. :)

    ReplyDelete