Welcome!

Hi. I'm Wendy (Wendakai). I'm writing this health-oriented blog because I have colitis and celiac disease and am now on a gluten-free, vegan diet. I went kicking and screaming into that, I can tell you. I'm also at risk for Type 2 diabetes. Mom to an Aspie teen, wife to a working man and in my cronehood, I'm looking to stick around a bit yet and share what I learn with others. There are also other resources posted here for those seeking information on a healthier lifestyle, recipes, info and more. I hope you get something out of what's here. :)

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Quick, Easy Side Dish (Can be G-free)

When I cook chicken pieces, for instance, I cook extra for another, easier meal after shopping, or just a light night in the kitchen. But for the second dinner, I need a new side dish to crank it up. Here's a fave:

I don't use very many convenience foods. They're usually far too loaded with with sugars, sodium and preservatives for me to consider them for my family. But ~ confession: I can't cook brown rice. White rice always turns out great, but whenever I've tried to cook brown rice: disaster. So I don't. Uncle Ben does. The Bistro Express plain whole grain rice has no preservatives. It's just water, brown rice and vege oil. I can totally live with that. But the fam doesn't want it plain, and I won't buy the flavours for the reasons above. So I use it to make a quick batch of vege-fried rice. Works great. Here's what you need:

1 pkg. brown rice
1 egg
some chopped onion (green onions are nicest, but use what you have on the go)
Mushrooms and other veges (the mushrooms and something green.. above I used asparagus, but I've also used broccoli or peas, and I like to put in some red pepper for colour)
3 tbsp. soy (or tamari sauce for gluten free). Read labels and choose a lower-sodium brand of sauce without a lot of unnecessary additives.


Beat the egg with just a little water and pour it into an oiled pan, just until it's set. Take it out and put it back into the bowl you beat it in. It's ok... you'll be cooking it some more later. Now re-oil the pan and saute the mushrooms and chopped veges. Nuke the rice according to pkg. directions. (You don't have to, but it's a little quicker and it's something to do while the veges soften.) Then dump the rice into the pan and stir. Put the egg back in and chop it up, then add the soy sauce. Stir to thoroughly mix. Cover and let rest over minimum heat while you get the rest of the dinner on and set the table. Serve. This takes no more than 15 mins. to prepare, less if you aren't taking pics! Easy, healthy, delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment