Welcome!

Hi. I'm Wendy (Wendakai). I'm writing this health-oriented blog because I have colitis and celiac disease and am now on a gluten-free, vegan diet. I went kicking and screaming into that, I can tell you. I'm also at risk for Type 2 diabetes. Mom to an Aspie teen, wife to a working man and in my cronehood, I'm looking to stick around a bit yet and share what I learn with others. There are also other resources posted here for those seeking information on a healthier lifestyle, recipes, info and more. I hope you get something out of what's here. :)

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Gluten and Dairy Free "Lasagna"

Ok, in the baked pasta mood. Daughter has been wanting some lasagna, even though she can't have dairy, including cassein. Here's what I did:

1 bottle of Classico Roasted Garlic and Onion tomato sauce
Rizopia oven-ready brown rice lasagna noodles
1 lb. ground elk (locally raised and marketed)
1 pkg. Galaxy Foods vegan rice-based Italian flavour "cheese"
mushrooms and herbs to taste

I browned up the elk, then added most of the tomato sauce, some fresh thyme, and blended. I used the sauce I held back to layer the bottom of the baking dish. This helps the oven-ready pasta to soften. I laid the noodles on the sauce, then a layer of meat and sauce, then a layer of mushrooms and a layer of grated "cheese." Repeat. Bake, covered, for 45 mins in a pre-heated 350 degree oven.
Even though the Classico sauce doesn't state that it's gluten-free, I haven't had any problem with the Roasted Garlic and Onion sauce, but of course, to be on the safe side, buy whichever gluten-free sauce you like for this baked "lasagna." Since posting this on my other blog, I've been told that the Galaxy products are all gluten-free. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment