Welcome!

Hi. I'm Wendy (Wendakai). I'm writing this health-oriented blog because I have colitis and celiac disease and am now on a gluten-free, vegan diet. I went kicking and screaming into that, I can tell you. I'm also at risk for Type 2 diabetes. Mom to an Aspie teen, wife to a working man and in my cronehood, I'm looking to stick around a bit yet and share what I learn with others. There are also other resources posted here for those seeking information on a healthier lifestyle, recipes, info and more. I hope you get something out of what's here. :)

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

G-free Breakfasts in a Hurry


I know, I know... you're in a hurry! You're on your way out the door and you really don't have time to create some sort of gluten-free masterpiece for breakfast.

Sure, sure, it's the most important meal of the day. Sure it is. So it has to be healthy, as well as good. But most of all, it has to be FAST!

Of course, it would be cool if it was yummy too! I mean, sure, you can throw some g-free cereal in a bowl and slosh on some sort of milk, and maybe a spoonful of sugar. But will that stay with you till lunch? Or do you risk the embarrassment of the tummy growl during that important meeting? Ah... you need some sort of protein in there to keep away the growlies. I do too.

So here's some of my faves: Have you discovered brown rice cakes yet? Yeah, they aren't the be all and end all, but they're crunchy, sometimes melt-in-your-mouth if they're really fresh, little puffs of rice all stuck together into a "cake." Kind of dry and not that tasty by themselves, but they have great potential with something on them.

When I first went gluten-free, I simply adjusted my usual fried egg sandwich in the morning, to a 1-egg serving of egg salad on a rice cake. Just use gluten-free mayo, a little g-free dijon mustard, sea salt and pepper... a little hungarian paprika if you like a bit of a kick in there to start your day. Only takes a couple of minutes if your eggs are hard boiled ahead of time. Then you just need to peel, mash and mix in a small bowl, and spoon it onto the rice cake.

Alas, I can't have eggs anymore and I really miss this breakfast.

But I found some good replacements. There's a plethora of nut and seed butters available out there. Choose from among the all natural and gluten-free and check them out. I like sunflower seed butter myself, so I spread that onto a rice cake and have it with a banana. Sure, you can make it prettier by slicing the banana delicately over the nut butter.... or, if you're in a hurry, you can just peel that banana and set it on the plate next to your nut-buttered rice cake.... and consume.


You can also have an apple, or indeed, some jam or marmalade is good too, as long as it's g-free. Anyway, it only takes a few minutes to throw this together, then you're out the door, the glorious taste of breakfast lingering, and it will tide you over till lunch. Healthy, filling, yummy.... good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment