Welcome!

Hi. I'm Wendy (Wendakai). I'm writing this health-oriented blog because I have colitis and celiac disease and am now on a gluten-free, vegan diet. I went kicking and screaming into that, I can tell you. I'm also at risk for Type 2 diabetes. Mom to an Aspie teen, wife to a working man and in my cronehood, I'm looking to stick around a bit yet and share what I learn with others. There are also other resources posted here for those seeking information on a healthier lifestyle, recipes, info and more. I hope you get something out of what's here. :)

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Chicken Strips with Wedges and Coleslaw

Ok, so we don’t go out to eat anymore. In fact, it’s been a long, long time since we darkened a take-out place’s door. But occasionally the foods typical of take-out are missed. Chicken strips with wedges is a family fave:

Creamy coleslaw: I buy prepackaged coleslaw veges for a meal like this because there are two kinds of cabbage in it and it doesn’t make sense for me to have two cabbages on the go in my family. Of course, if you have cabbages and carrots in the house that you want to use, just put chunks of cabbage and some carrots into the food processor and pulse, just to chop it to the desired bits. Then just make the dressing by combining g-free mayo, some brown sugar and a splash of alternative milk. Whisk well. Then add a little white vinegar and whisk again. A little salt and pepper, and some celery seed seasons it. A little g-free dijon mustard gives it a kick if you like. Then add the slaw veges and mix well, or pour the dressing into the food processor and pulse some more. Cover and place in the fridge. It should chill for at least 20 minutes before it’s ready to serve. This softens it and makes it yum. (Tip: It's important to add the milk to the mayo and sugar and mix, before adding the vinegar. This acclimatizes it to the mayo. If you do it in the wrong order, you'll sour the milk... even a milk alternative.)

Potato wedges: Russet potatoes work best for these. I buy organic, then I look for the biggest, longest potatoes in the bag, wash them, and cut them up into large wedges. No need to peel them. They’re nicer with the peel on, and that’s where a lot of the nutrition is. Place them into a large baking pan and dress them with a little garlic olive oil and some Tex/Mex spice. (Get gluten-free if you can, but I use the Club House brand because it doesn’t bother me. Can’t say the same for all their spices, but the Tex/Mex seems to be fine.) Toss ‘em ~ using your hands, it works better. Spread them out and bake them in a 350 degree oven (preheated) for 40 - 45 minutes.


After you get those in, the chicken strips: I buy organic chicken pieces, in this instance, the boneless breasts. These are expensive. Really cool when they mark them down 30% a couple days before the best before date. :) Cutting them into chicken strips makes them go as far as they will. Just cut each breast up into thin pieces and bread them.

Gluten-free Breading: I use gluten-free corn/flax flakes put through the blender. I put this into a bowl and add a little g-free flour, such as whole bean, just to smooth it out. The flavour is in the herbs and seasonings: Rosemary is very important ~ and yummy ~ and some dried parsley, sweet basil, a little sea salt and pepper all makes it fine. Don’t be too heavy-handed, but flavour is important. Mix well.

Beat an egg with a little water or alternative milk. (I used a little soy milk.) Beat well. Dip strips of chicken into breading mix first, then egg, then back into breading mix, coating well, but... you know, not too thickly. Place breaded strips onto cookie sheet. (There is no need to grease it.) When the potatoes only have 17 - 20 minutes to go, slide the chicken strips into the oven. Turn them over half way through. (Taters too at this point.)

Ok, I know the coleslaw and dipping sauce are missing from this, and that's what gives it colour. But I have to be quick with pics, because the food disappears fast. Anyway, if your family doesn't dig coleslaw, a side salad, carrot and celery sticks, sliced cucumber and cherry tomatoes dressed with a little vinegar.... it's all good! Have what you like!

Serve with gluten-free dipping sauces of your choice, or make the dipping sauce by combining honey, lemon juice, tamari sauce and garlic put through a garlic press. Add a little warm water to thin it out if neccessary, and/or heat it up a bit in the microwave. Just a bit. I wish I could give amounts, but I don’t measure when I make food like this. For a cake recipe it’s kind of necessary to stick to exact amounts, but for a meal like this, it all depends on how many you’re cooking for, the taste that appeals to you, how the spirit moves you, and the consistency you desire. So go fearless into it and experiment. You can always add a little more milk alternative to the egg mixture, or a little more g-free flour to the breading mix, or a little more mayo or mustard to the coleslaw dressing. Make it the way you like it.

Cost: One thing I can tell you is that I get about 4 servings of chicken strips out of a package of 2 chicken breasts. These packages usually run around $12. - $13. each here, but if I time it right at the store, they’re around $8. - $9. with the discount. Just make them up pretty much right away. So that’s only around $2. a serving for the chicken. The potatoes and slaw (and incidentals) might set you back another buck per serving. Even paying full price for the chicken, this meal is much cheaper than going out to a take-out place for strips and wedges, and much, much healthier than anything you’ll get out. I know, part of going out is to give the cook a rest. But the smiles and smackin’ lips make this very much worth the work. Serve it on recyclable paper plates. Sure, there’s still dishes, but they can wait till later. ;o)

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm sounds delicious to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe... geez, this sure disappears quickly, I can tell you that for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete