Welcome!

Hi. I'm Wendy (Wendakai). I'm writing this health-oriented blog because I have colitis and celiac disease and am now on a gluten-free, vegan diet. I went kicking and screaming into that, I can tell you. I'm also at risk for Type 2 diabetes. Mom to an Aspie teen, wife to a working man and in my cronehood, I'm looking to stick around a bit yet and share what I learn with others. There are also other resources posted here for those seeking information on a healthier lifestyle, recipes, info and more. I hope you get something out of what's here. :)

Monday, June 6, 2011

A Simple Meal Idea!

Made this for the kidlet one day for her lunch. Was simple and apparently yummy! Also gluten-free. I hadn't made these for a long time. Just one of those things I don't think of often. Maybe your mom made these and you haven't thought of 'em in a while either. Here's a reminder:

Fish Cakes

To make what's in the picture, I used one small - medium potato, nuked. I scooped the cooked potato out of its skin and put it in a small mixing bowl. Then I added half a can of wild Pacific salmon and 1 egg yolk. I seasoned this with a generous sprinkle of tarragon, and a bit of dried parsley and sweet basil, as well as a dash of sea salt and pepper.

Mix it all up with a fork, then dive in with your clean hands and form patties. I laid these in a fry pan lightly oiled with garlic olive oil, in which asparagus spears and a few sliced mushrooms were already started. Didn't take long for the patties to brown on both sides and cook through, and the veges were ready too. Serve.

Of course, they'd also be great with a green salad and g-free salad dressing, or coleslaw. You can dress the slaw in a g-free Italian vinegrette or make this creamy dressing: couple tablespoons g-free mayo, 2 tsp. brown sugar, 1 tablespoon milk or milk alternative; mix this up, then add a tablespoon vinegar and mix again. (It's important to mix it up before adding the vinegar or the milk will sour.) Add some celery seed and voila! A delicious creamy cole slaw to go with your fish cakes. An all together easy, yummy, healthy lunch or dinner. (And one of these patties might be enough for the smaller appetite!) :)

[Note: I buy packaged cole slaw veggies because we don't otherwise use a lot of cabbage, but if you do, you can always cut up or food process some cabbage and carrot on "pulse" for your coleslaw.]

No comments:

Post a Comment