Welcome!

Hi. I'm Wendy (Wendakai). I'm writing this health-oriented blog because I have colitis and celiac disease and am now on a gluten-free, vegan diet. I went kicking and screaming into that, I can tell you. I'm also at risk for Type 2 diabetes. Mom to an Aspie teen, wife to a working man and in my cronehood, I'm looking to stick around a bit yet and share what I learn with others. There are also other resources posted here for those seeking information on a healthier lifestyle, recipes, info and more. I hope you get something out of what's here. :)

Monday, June 6, 2011

Let's Talk Corn

Let's talk corn. This is the most used crop/food on the planet and is in much of what we eat in some form or another, from corn flour in pancake and muffin mixes, to corn syrup or corn syrup solids in everything from boullion, to rice mixes, to prepared meats. It's also in much of the feed given to animals raised for meat. And it's also probably one of the major food contributors to Type 2 Diabetes.

But as things go at our house, a bag of organic blue or red corn chips with a little salsa is considered a healthier snack than .. say... potato chips, or those other junky snack foods. I gave up corn years ago. And we use mostly locally, naturally or organically grown/raised foods, cutting down significantly on the corn in our food. But I do put up locally grown corn in the freezer for hubby to enjoy with his occasional locally grown pork. And I do and will encourage corn chips as an alternative to other junkier snack foods.

Thing is, I had trouble yesterday resisting those blue corn chips. Just a few, I thought, won't hurt. They're just organic blue corn, safflour oil and a little sea salt. No problem, right? Oy. I went to bed feeling bloaty and my blood sugar was up this morning. :p So yeah, the fam can have 'em sometimes for a treat, but I need to stick to talking corn, and refrain from eating it. *sigh*

How much corn is in your food?

No comments:

Post a Comment