Welcome!

Hi. I'm Wendy (Wendakai). I'm writing this health-oriented blog because I have colitis and celiac disease and am now on a gluten-free, vegan diet. I went kicking and screaming into that, I can tell you. I'm also at risk for Type 2 diabetes. Mom to an Aspie teen, wife to a working man and in my cronehood, I'm looking to stick around a bit yet and share what I learn with others. There are also other resources posted here for those seeking information on a healthier lifestyle, recipes, info and more. I hope you get something out of what's here. :)

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Creamed Salmon, Again


I've given this recipe before on another blog. It's a fave of my daughter's and it's so easy to make.

I gave the gluteny version before ~ where you make a roux with garlic butter and wheat flour. But it's crazy easy to make a gluten-free and more heart-healthy version. Instead of making a roux, just pour the milk or milk alternative into the pan, (I use soy milk. Haven't tried rice milk in this and I'm not sure almond milk would go, but hey....), add the salmon and seasonings, then thicken.

Now, the lump in the picture is a popover, and I haven't yet successfully made a gluten-free popover. But creamed salmon can be served on a bed of rice or gluten-free pasta just as well. If you're watching your blood sugar, remember to use brown rice, quinoa, or brown rice pasta, etc., as opposed to white, so you're getting complex carbs instead of simple carbs, which enter the blood stream as simple sugar. So here's the recipe for one serving:

Creamed Salmon
3/4 cup milk or milk alternative
1/2 can wild Pacific salmon
generous sprinkling of dried Tarragon leaves (a must.. makes the dish)
dash of sea salt, pepper, dried parsley and basil, to taste
2 good tsps. of tapioca starch (or arrowroot flour, or g-free corn starch)
peas, broccoli or vege of choice

Pour 1/2 cup of the milk in a small skillet and heat to a light boil. Add the salmon and seasonings and bring back to a light boil. Add peas and/or broccoli if you want them in the creamed salmon. Add starch to the remaining 1/4 cup milk, stirring to dissolve. Then add to the cooking mixture and stir till it all thickens. Serve over rice or pasta, and with any other veges you like.

It's asparagus season here and my daughter loves it fried in garlic butter. A little garlic olive oil is more heart-healthy though. The main thing is the garlic, because asparagus and garlic go together almost as well as kale and garlic. Avoid garlic powders though. I found out the hard way there's gluten in mine. Garlic salt adds unnecessary sodium to your food. And real garlic can burn, leaving a bitter taste. Garlic olive oil is best. After cooking the asparagus I threw in some mushrooms too. Once cooked, I placed the veges on a microwave safe plate ready to heat up again once the creamed salmon is done. Rice or pasta should be prepared ahead too. The creamed salmon doesn't take long, so it's always the last thing I prepare.

Quick, easy, heart-healthy, g-free, etc. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment