Welcome!

Hi. I'm Wendy (Wendakai). I'm writing this health-oriented blog because I have colitis and celiac disease and am now on a gluten-free, vegan diet. I went kicking and screaming into that, I can tell you. I'm also at risk for Type 2 diabetes. Mom to an Aspie teen, wife to a working man and in my cronehood, I'm looking to stick around a bit yet and share what I learn with others. There are also other resources posted here for those seeking information on a healthier lifestyle, recipes, info and more. I hope you get something out of what's here. :)

Monday, May 30, 2011

Change It Up!

Yep, another pasta dish, but of course you could make this so many different ways with either pasta, rice, quinoa, beans, a mixture of those, or whatever you like. I just find the rice pasta so easy. So this time I made brown rice shells, and here's what I put on it.

First I skinned, seasoned and cooked up some organic chicken thighs. Now, I got these 30% off, and at that they were really no more expensive than those hormone chicken thighs, and of course, they are the healthier and more responsible choice. Moreover, making dishes like this is a great way to make them go further. I cooked up 8 thighs, but I only used 4 to serve two people, putting the other four in the fridge for another day. The four nice, meaty thighs for this dish I deboned and cut up into pieces. (My pasta was cooking at this point.) Then I drained the juices from the pan, and put some g-free garlic and onion tomato sauce into it, bringing it to a simmer. Then I put some of the juices back just to make it a nice consistency, added some broccoli florets and put the chicken back in. Simmer.

When it's all warmed through and the broccoli is softened, add some soy sour cream. This is optional of course, but it's a great way to mellow out the sauce. This is sort of similar to a stroganoff. But I'll do that another day. :)



So add a couple of spoonfuls of the gluten and dairy free sour cream and mix it around well. Then serve on a bed of pasta, or whatever you like! Stretching the meat portion doesn't mean you have to skimp on a meal. There is no need for anyone to leave the table hungry, and believe me, they didn't. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment