Welcome!

Hi. I'm Wendy (Wendakai). I'm writing this health-oriented blog because I have colitis and celiac disease and am now on a gluten-free, vegan diet. I went kicking and screaming into that, I can tell you. I'm also at risk for Type 2 diabetes. Mom to an Aspie teen, wife to a working man and in my cronehood, I'm looking to stick around a bit yet and share what I learn with others. There are also other resources posted here for those seeking information on a healthier lifestyle, recipes, info and more. I hope you get something out of what's here. :)

Monday, October 3, 2011

Decadent, healthy dessert!

Picture it... chocolate birthday cake, and it's gluten-free!
Well, it was pertiful, and I hear it was yummy, but I couldn't have any, because there were real eggs in it... and I've been stayin' away from chocolate. Awwwww... po' Wendy. But wait! It's ok! I had an idea. (Get them from time to time.) ;o)

It's apple season and there are all kinds in the house ~ wild apples, our own apples, and apples from market. There are soft apples, medium apples, hard apples... hey, dessert!

Ideally, pick a medium apple, like an Empire, Spartan, Royal Gala for your apple dessert. Core it with an apple corer... like this one.
(This one is very old. If you're looking for one in a store, it probably won't look just like this, but close.)

Stuff the core with brown sugar and raisins, or use syrup, like maple or apple syrup, or even honey. Sprinkle a little cinnamon if you like. (Don't assume those raisins are g-free.. read the ingredients and warnings. I use SUN-MAID raisins.) Now drizzle just a little water into your microwave-safe dish.. really, just a wee bit, and nuke the apple on high for about 3 minutes. (A soft apple, like a Mac, requires less time and may turn to apple sauce. A hard apple, like a Spy, Delicious, or Granny Smith, will need more time, depending not just on hardness, but on size, and just a tiddle more water as well.)


Now, to make it decadent, you need to add some version of "ice cream." I used this.... Rice Divine Coconut Mango. You can use what you use for "ice cream." :) I spooned just a little all around my apple.


So it looked like this! Apple and raisins with cream! No gluten, no dairy, li'l bit o' sugar, Sugar. ;o)


Don't need no silly cake! ;o)




Note: the apple skin can be a bit tough, so either cut it a bit with kitchen scissors to get it started, or use a grapefruit spoon to eat it. It is worth the work.... sooooooo goooooood. :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment